Sunday, February 7, 2010

Snowed in!

2 feet of snow in Delaware is enough to close the state - and it did!  We've been under a State of Emergency since Friday evening.  Travel restrictions were lifted last night at 8:00 with requests not to go out, so we were trying to be well behaved and not go out. 

Drifts were 5 feet and higher.  My oldest son said that he couldn't get out his back door because of the drifts and that he couldn't get his snow plow out of the garage. 

Michael is preparing to go shovel as I write this.  We have a WONDERFUL neighbor who plowed our driveway last night.  In the process, he plowed Michael "in".  So.... Michael has to go play in the snow this morning.  He points out, though, that he's grateful for the amount of shoveling he DOESN'T have to do!


We were very fortunate that this was not a heavy, wet, snow that takes down power lines.  Michael and I spent the day yesterday watching the snow - safe and warm. 



Most of the screens were full of snow, making it difficult to even see outside.  Our big front window doesn't have a screen, so Michael was able to take a few pictures from inside. 


My son, Greg and his crew were out in the snow and even made it to Target. 




Greg took this one at Target yesterday and titled it:  "Need a cart, anyone?"  The State of Emergency MIGHT have had something to do with Target being so empty. 


Before Target, though, I think he made a morning trip to Dunkin' Donuts.  And before that, who knows, BUT I promise you there WAS a "before that", knowing Greg.


My oldest son didn't have time to play in the snow. Richard was out shoveling and snow-blowing his driveway and the driveways of three of his neighbors. I'm afraid this experience will turn him against "old people" (of which I am one) for good! Now that it's over and he's safe, I'm so very proud of his care for his neighbors. I'm sure they appreciate his kindness.

Maybe today he can take the top off of the snow in an area big enough for Kate to play. He said the drifts were so high in his yard yesterday that it was over his 3 yr.old daughter's head in many places.

I haven't heard from my youngest son yet. It took 2 ft. of snow to get Scott a Saturday off from work! I'm sure he enjoyed the day with his family.

I know that for many, this would be no big deal, but for Delawareans, this is a biggie!  We don't have the manpower or the equipment to handle this kind of snow. 

Schools could be closed here for a week because the buses can't get through the back streets. Main roads get plowed.  For the most part, secondary roads do not get plowed unless a community hires someone privately to plow their community. 

In Delaware it snows and then it melts - and then it snows - and then it melts.  Nature usually takes care of the roads (more or less).  It looks like the temperatures are going to be right around freezing or a little below this week (according to weather.com) so who knows what this will do to our tiny state. I guess we'll  just have to wait and see. 

Should we blame the groundhog???

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hooray! A comment from you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin